Tuesday 2 January 2018

31 Chapters in the Book of Proverbs for 31 Days in January

A New Year has arrived! And how we all need the LORD's wisdom for the year ahead, and what better place to go to for this wisdom, than the Book of Proverbs in the Bible.

I can recommend for your personal devotions and for family worship to read, study and discuss a chapter each day of the Book of Proverbs, during January.

It has been amazing for me over the years, that when I have faced deep challenges, that I have turned to Proverbs and the answer has come to me from that book. Many times the answer is different to what I would have thought of, but we need godliness, humility, the fear of the LORD, discretion, patience and maturity. Proverbs has it all!

Here are just some of the major themes in Proverbs.

Seeking out wise counsel for decision-making
Humility
Marriage guidance and children raising wisdom
The fear of the Lord is prized in Proverbs
The Lord hates pride

If I were to choose a few of my favourite verses in Proverbs, here they are:

The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honour and life, Proverbs 22:4.

Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety, Proverbs 11:14.

In the fear of the LORD one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge. The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death", Proverbs 14:26-27.

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom, Proverbs 11:12.

No comments: