Monday 3 April 2017

Thomas Brooks: "The Mute Christian Under the Smarting Rod"

Again, we return to theme of encouraging people to read the Puritans rather than just reading about the Puritans. Let me introduce you to a pastoral gem. It is from the Works of Thomas Brooks (6 Volumes), Volume 1 and this pastoral jewel is based on a single verse in Psalm 39:9.

"I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it", Psalm 39:9.

I have never read anything of a similar character, depth or value for the Christian who has suffered or who is suffering under the Lord's chastisement and a time of bitter providence. I have recommended it to many others who are reading this. Brooks writes with clarity, depth, rich explanations and searching analysis. It will lead you to freshly repent and to turn to the heavenly Father in humility.

I commend this work to you!

No comments: