Monday 9 May 2016

Enjoying being a Christian!

The first question of the Westminster Shorter Catechism is probably the best definition of Christianity I have come across. What does it say?

Question 1: What is the chief end of man?
Answer: Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever.


It is the intention of our Lord who has redeemed Christians, that they enjoy being a Christian. Sometimes we get so uptight that we can lose our Christian joy. Have you lost your joy and enjoyment of the Christian life lived out within the context of a Christian Church? If so, ask yourself why? For some they need to cast their cares on the Lord (1 Peter 5:7), for others perhaps they have allowed things to crowd out the big picture to "enjoy" the Lord forever. I hope that this blog post can be pastorally helpful for many.

What does the same question say in the Westminster Larger Catechism?

Question: What is the chief and highest end of man?
Answer: Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God and fully to enjoy him forever.


One of the Bible proof texts given here is from John 17:21-23 (I have included 17:20): “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me".

What a joy to be a Christian? The unity of the body of Christ is so important, but sometimes people, especially Reformed persons, they can become so fixed on every detail of doctrine (and doctrine is very important), that they lose their spiritual joy. When this happens they need to come back to "base-camp", metaphorically speaking and learn again to walk with Christ in humility and enjoy his company.

Psalm 16:11 "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore".



No comments: