Friday 3 December 2010

Burial or Cremation: What does the Bible Teach?

This matter of burial or cremation was forcefully brought to my attention over 15 years ago as my wife and i travelled to The Netherlands for the funeral of my Father-in-law. As I spoke to the undertaker, who was a committed Dutch Reformed Christian, we discussed the matter of burial and cremation. I explained that I did not have a clear view on either and he confronted me in true Dutch style. He asserted that 'Cremation is not Christian!'. Sometimes we need a sharp rebuke to make us think through the issues at hand and as ever must go back to the Scriptures and let God's Word determine our views. This is what I did.

While it is true that burial or cremation does not affect our eternal destiny, because we are saved by grace alone (Ephesians 2:8-10), the fact remains that the OT and NT saints have consistently practiced the burial of people, who are made in the image of God, in the hope of the future resurrection. A helpful booklet that handles this matter sensitively is published by the Banner of Truth and it is called: Burial or Cremation: Does it Matter? by D. Howard.

It is not co-incidental that God declared to Abraham 'You shall be buried in a good old age (Gen. 15:15)' when God spoke the promises of the Abrahamic covenant. God had spoken: Abraham would be buried! Similarly our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ was buried, consistent with the practice of handling the dead, since the beginning. The practice of the burial of the Christian dead appears to be one of obedience to the Bible, a manifestation of our hope in the future resurrection and a sensitive way of handling a loved one who is made in the image of God.

We cannot alter our past practice but I hope that this little blog article stimulates some people to seriously think through this matter in our own generation.

1 comment:

smward007 said...

Brother Kevin,

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ, our Savior. Thank you once again for enlightening me to what the word of God says' about such a sensitive subject. I've thought about this subject countless times and must say that I have never been comfortable with the cremation aspect, and now I know why. God bless you my brother and keep up the good work.

Brother Stephen Ward